Friday 13 September 2013

The Signature Look


The wide big eyes….

Like an Afrikan awl? Ha! Ha!

Reminds me of the Afrikan sun, moon and the stars.

Which brings hope to Afrikans.

 

The eyelashes….

Reminds me of the brush from our ox-tale

Tails of our ceremonial cattle

Used to clean our houses

May they shield and protect those handsome eyes.

May they shield you from seeing bad no more.

 

Ohivara*....

Reminds me of the creator's handy work

May it be the gate to your heart

A heart with a space for a true AfriKan Woman.

 

The hair….

Black with traces of grey

Reminds me of the years past

Of the seasoning by Afrikan standards

May wisdom be reflected in you

May you represent Afrika.

 

The soft,  yet engaging voice…

Reminds me of our forebearers.

 

The voice….

Cool, collected and calculated to build

Never given to rage and destruction

 

The physical build-up….

Reminds me of our Afrikan soldier

Who protected our women and land

It reminds me of our Afrikan man

Who has cared for our ancestral cattle

 

The intellect….

Reminds me of the Afrikan man we had before colonial times

Filled with wisdom bred in Afrika.

 

The skin and its tone….

Reminds me of the Afrikan soil

Filled with wealth sought for by the world

Feeding the needs and wants of the world.

 

The signature look…

May it bring hope to Afrika

May it be a true reflection of the Afrika in you

The Afrika we should build.
 
*The space between the front teeth.
 
Poem Inspired by an African Queen (Amanda Kaipiti)

No comments:

Post a Comment